» Greetings from 12th Fleet!
10/2/2013, 1:30 pm by [12th]Lupy

» New forum
17/11/2010, 10:22 am by Coco

» Fleet / Team listings
15/11/2010, 1:14 pm by MaQogh

» Fleet Rep's contact details
7/11/2010, 3:52 pm by Valentine Fox

» End of season 1 (including the EoS Event!)
3/11/2010, 6:27 pm by Blackknight8x

» Hall of Fame
1/11/2010, 8:45 pm by Blackknight8x

» Thoughts So Far
1/11/2010, 7:57 pm by Reuster

» Match details
1/11/2010, 4:07 pm by Ghost_2012

» Match results
1/11/2010, 4:38 am by Valentine Fox

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 26821 messages in 2457 subjects

We have 289 registered users

The newest registered user is GEIMENC

STO Competition

Cyberdurc22
    Admin

Number of posts : 1178
    Registration date : 2008-11-22
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Human

STO Competition

Post by Cyberdurc22 on 14/1/2010, 11:11 am

Looks as though STO is gonna have some stiff comeptition. Seems as though EVE will be joining up with a company called DUST 514 who will be working on the planet side combat, check out the article here.

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2010-01-05
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Andorian

Re: STO Competition

Post by Gerrik on 16/1/2010, 2:52 am

I played Eve for a while. While moderately successful, I found myself getting bored while warping. The game is SO COMPLEX, has so much lore, and the infighting is terrible. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game. I just found myself wishing it had a tutorial that works. Planet play is a good idea. Big hurdle though, the space combat is so developed by now, the Dust company is going to have some picky customers.
    Talorn

Number of posts : 88
    Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Borg

Post by Talorn on 16/1/2010, 3:07 am

I have not read the article in the link however I thought Dust 514 was the name of the ground portion and that the ground portion was a completely different game. An MMOFPS for consoles only. This was announced last year so I suppose things could have changed.
    Valen

Number of posts : 135
    Registration date : 2009-05-24
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Post by Valen on 16/1/2010, 3:10 am

IMHO, the only real competition will be from Star Wars TOR. Fan base it what will keep both games successful.

Mark my words, this is what will happen; STO will sell many many copies, get a lot of subscribers at first, and probably sell out of the original print run like Age of Conan did at first. A few months after release, the number of subscribers will drop significantly. People will cry that the game is not complete, is missing what they want, and leave in a public huff on the forums once the next new shiny game comes out. Then, SWTOR will be released tentatively in October 2010 and a lot of STO subscribers will leave this game for that one. Forum Trolls will continue to QQ (cry), claiming that STO is dying and the sky is falling, because it has fewer subscribers than it once had. This is the natural evolution of an MMO, and what we will have left after 6-12 months are the true ST fans, and quite frankly it will be better at that time.
    Rafkin

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2010-01-10
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Trill

Post by Rafkin on 16/1/2010, 8:45 am

I agree, I think the main competition is coming next year in the form of EA's Star Wars MMO.

That's gonna suck a lot of oxygen from the room and I'd imagine that you're going to see a lot of folks take "breaks" from WoW, STO, Eve in order to check it out.

Rafkin
    Talorn

Number of posts : 88
    Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by Talorn on 16/1/2010, 12:02 pm

Valen wrote:IMHO, the only real competition will be from Star Wars TOR. Fan base it what will keep both games successful.

Mark my words, this is what will happen; STO will sell many many copies, get a lot of subscribers at first, and probably sell out of the original print run like Age of Conan did at first. A few months after release, the number of subscribers will drop significantly. People will cry that the game is not complete, is missing what they want, and leave in a public huff on the forums once the next new shiny game comes out. Then, SWTOR will be released tentatively in October 2010 and a lot of STO subscribers will leave this game for that one. Forum Trolls will continue to QQ (cry), claiming that STO is dying and the sky is falling, because it has fewer subscribers than it once had. This is the natural evolution of an MMO, and what we will have left after 6-12 months are the true ST fans, and quite frankly it will be better at that time.

They already announced that SWTOR was a tenative spring 2011 launch. STO has a whole year ahead of that game! I think SWTOR is gonna kick ass but I don't see it as being a normal MMO. From what I have seen, it is more of a casual coop type of game with the same storyline choices as the other games that come from Bioware.
    aljama1122

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2008-12-11
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by aljama1122 on 16/1/2010, 4:06 pm

Cyberdurc22 wrote:Looks as though STO is gonna have some stiff comeptition. Seems as though EVE will be joining up with a company called DUST 514 who will be working on the planet side combat, check out the article here.

just to correct some of the information here, as DUST was announced over a year ago and the article doesnt really explain it fully

Firstly: DUST is produced by CCP, which is the same company that does EvE, not a different one like Durc assumes
    Secondly: DUST is a console only game, where EvE is PC only (DUST was targeted at the console FPS community)
    Thirdly: the only actual crossover besides CCP, is a common chat and RP component where EvE corporations can "hire" dust players to fight over planets
    Quarterly: since there have been no official benefits announced to the EvE universe for controlling planets, I again have to assume this is purely meant to try networking players together in an RP context

so no this will not be competition for STO, outside of the fact most people playing EvE are ST fans. DUST is an FPS game and is targeted exclusive to the X360, and the only real connection to EvE is an RP collaboration.

I must concur that the real competition to STO is Star Wars, and Cryptic itself! as long as they can avoid disappointing ST's fanbase and making them leave due to technical issues like server crashes/character slots/sharding issues, if it can save the game from itself it should be fine
    Indy

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2009-08-26
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Post by Indy on 21/1/2010, 12:53 pm

aljama1122 wrote:
    Cyberdurc22 wrote:Looks as though STO is gonna have some stiff comeptition. Seems as though EVE will be joining up with a company called DUST 514 who will be working on the planet side combat, check out the article here.

just to correct some of the information here, as DUST was announced over a year ago and the article doesnt really explain it fully

Firstly: DUST is produced by CCP, which is the same company that does EvE, not a different one like Durc assumes
    Secondly: DUST is a console only game, where EvE is PC only (DUST was targeted at the console FPS community)
    Thirdly: the only actual crossover besides CCP, is a common chat and RP component where EvE corporations can "hire" dust players to fight over planets
    Quarterly: since there have been no official benefits announced to the EvE universe for controlling planets, I again have to assume this is purely meant to try networking players together in an RP context

so no this will not be competition for STO, outside of the fact most people playing EvE are ST fans. DUST is an FPS game and is targeted exclusive to the X360, and the only real connection to EvE is an RP collaboration.

I must concur that the real competition to STO is Star Wars, and Cryptic itself! as long as they can avoid disappointing ST's fanbase and making them leave due to technical issues like server crashes/character slots/sharding issues, if it can save the game from itself it should be fine

I was about to write all this, though probably not in so many words, so thanks, and I agree Smile
    Cyberdurc22
    Admin

Number of posts : 1178
    Registration date : 2008-11-22
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by Cyberdurc22 on 21/1/2010, 4:09 pm

Thanks for the clarity, that article seems rather open ended now.

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2010-01-10
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Trill

Post by Rafkin on 21/1/2010, 5:41 pm

I totally forgot about another potential competitor.

Bethesda's Elder Scrolls MMO is slated to release later this year or early next.

Granted, it's in the genre as WoW, Everquest 2, and Vanguard so I'm not overly concerned about it taking a great deal of market share from STO.

Ciao

Rafkin
    metaltyrant

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by metaltyrant on 21/1/2010, 7:04 pm

with STO and star wars tor, DC online eventually coming out it will be interesting ovetr the next year.SWTOR has what i havnat seen before in a MMO IS full interactive voice interaction by player characters and npc which will be awsome because that does help draw you into the story so much more
    Kelthar.Arcticwolf

Number of posts : 773
    Registration date : 2009-05-08
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by Kelthar.Arcticwolf on 22/1/2010, 5:23 am

It only takes a few words to sum up what SWTOR will be all about:

Jedi/Sith Tweens.

I rest my case.
    Talasmin

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2010-01-24
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Post by Talasmin on 25/1/2010, 5:38 pm

I agree that the new Star Wars MMO will be stiff compitetion for STO, but the two games are vastly different. STO is more spaced based with instanced ground activity, where as Star Wars is more of a Ground based game. I played Star wars Galaxies when it first came out and loved it, then they ruined it in my opinion.
    Freejack

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2008-11-20
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Post by Freejack on 27/1/2010, 4:20 am

Rafkin wrote:I agree, I think the main competition is coming next year in the form of EA's Star Wars MMO

If EA has anything to do with it, it will fail.
    Reuster

Number of posts : 308
    Registration date : 2010-01-19
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by Reuster on 27/1/2010, 10:32 pm

Valen wrote:IMHO, the only real competition will be from Star Wars TOR. Fan base it what will keep both games successful.

Hear! Hear!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 23/9/2017, 3:34 am