» Greetings from 12th Fleet!
10/2/2013, 1:30 pm by [12th]Lupy

» New forum
17/11/2010, 10:22 am by Coco

» Fleet / Team listings
15/11/2010, 1:14 pm by MaQogh

» Fleet Rep's contact details
7/11/2010, 3:52 pm by Valentine Fox

» End of season 1 (including the EoS Event!)
3/11/2010, 6:27 pm by Blackknight8x

» Hall of Fame
1/11/2010, 8:45 pm by Blackknight8x

» Thoughts So Far
1/11/2010, 7:57 pm by Reuster

» Match details
1/11/2010, 4:07 pm by Ghost_2012

» Match results
1/11/2010, 4:38 am by Valentine Fox

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 26821 messages in 2457 subjects

We have 289 registered users

The newest registered user is GEIMENC

Ten ton hammer Q&A

Pogmahone

Number of posts : 1499
    Registration date : 2009-12-20
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Ten ton hammer Q&A

Post by Pogmahone on 27/12/2009, 10:36 pm

Cyberdurc22
    Admin

Number of posts : 1178
    Registration date : 2008-11-22
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Human

Re: Ten ton hammer Q&A

Post by Cyberdurc22 on 27/12/2009, 11:27 pm

Great find thanks.

dru_mcd

Number of posts : 1831
    Registration date : 2009-03-06
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Andorian

Post by dru_mcd on 28/12/2009, 12:43 am

Yes, great find. Thank you.

Anybody care to comment on the article?

These are two questions that I found very interesting:

Ten Ton Hammer: So what would happen to a Klingon if they could get into Federation territory, or can they even get there?

Zeke: At launch the only place they can co mingle is the Warzone near Eridani Sector Block and that is in Deep Space K7 by Sherman's Planet and where the Klingon's outpost is located. That is where the combat is the heaviest. And while there can be both Klingon and Federation ships, no combat happens in sector space, so challenges would have to be issued or go to the PvP maps for that area to engage each other.

Ten Ton Hammer: Klingons will still have to accept challenges then; they won't be open game?

Zeke: Yes, in sector space the combatants will have to issue and accept challenges. There are open world PvP maps where there are fleet actions and it is open PvP.

It seems like Cryptic is going out of their way to NOT have the community divided into two factions. Klingon players will be a subset of people who play Federation, not a separate set. What impact does this have on the game play and what impact does this have on the community?

I really don't feel like posting this question on the STO Forums - it would be a waste of time. But here we can probably get some good answers.
    Kelthar.Arcticwolf

Number of posts : 773
    Registration date : 2009-05-08
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by Kelthar.Arcticwolf on 28/12/2009, 4:36 am

Okay, so it looks like that as we are flying around we won't be able to actively attack Klingons or be attacked by them without warning. You would have to issue or respond to a challenge, or be in an Open PvP section of the game, like a CTF-style "map".
    Blackknight8x
    Admin

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2009-02-12
    Medals :

Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Trill

Post by Blackknight8x on 28/12/2009, 4:46 am

Are Cryptic now back tracking? Klingons CAN level doing only PvE. - Am I right in thinking they said Klingons will only be PvP based leveling??? scratch

Can only be a good thing IMO, gives Klingon players more to do.

Ten Ton Hammer wrote:
    Ten Ton Hammer: So, the question on everyone's mind: Is there a way to progress a Klingon without ever doing and PvP?

Zeke: Yes, you can. PvP is certainly the focus of the content but if you want to just do the PvE, that is certainly possible.

Number of posts : 530
    Registration date : 2008-12-24
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Malacandran

Post by marscentral on 28/12/2009, 5:16 am

Klingons were always going to be the smaller faction, so I can see why Cryptic might want to try to have us as one big happy family instead. I don't think it's the right way to go though, especially as Klingons are supposed to be PvP oriented. You want people to work out the best builds and strategies and then post guides, but that only happens when you have two distinct sides working against each other. Added to which, I think people will roll Klingons as their main because they want to play the dangerous rebel, so feeling like a subset of the Federation centric whole goes against that desire.

It was never stated that Klingons had no PvE, just that they don't have the episodes and exploration content. A lot of people in the community rushed to the assumption that there was none at all. I do think there should be more and I really don't see why they don't modify exploration into some sort of conquest system.
    Lithian

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2009-05-03
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by Lithian on 28/12/2009, 7:33 am

Well I think because it's a world server principle, open world PVP can't be achieved because you'd be able to have a Fed. character telling where the enemy would be.
    Another thing, did they just say there will only be 3 races to choose from in the Klingon faction?
    In addition to making your own custom race, you also have access to two more races when you join the Klingon Empire.
    Coco
    Admin

Number of posts : 2644
    Registration date : 2008-11-25
    Medals :

Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Vulcan

Post by Coco on 28/12/2009, 8:11 am

I also seem to recall that they mentioned in a Russian interview that Klingons would only be able to progress through to end game via PvP, although there would be additional PvE content for them. Just not as much as the Feds and no mission episodes. Now they seem to be repositioning themselves, probably after the outcry from the community labelling it glorified monsterplay. And I can only applaud this, giving those that love Klingons but aren't PvP centric to try them out Smile

What I'm a bit disappointed with is the Klingon back story. That there are 2 great Houses fighting for political power is believable. But that you "ally" yourself with one but can't really choose and then have to do missions for both is a bit up there. Granted that most PvPers in general won't care much about the story, but this is ST and the audience isn't your typical MMO gamer.

Lithian wrote:Another thing, did they just say there will only be 3 races to choose from in the Klingon faction?
    In addition to making your own custom race, you also have access to two more races when you join the Klingon Empire.

Indeed it seems a bit weird, seeing you have Klingon plus Orion, Nausicaan and Gorn... so already one of the species now part of the Empire won't be in the creator? Strange, so hopefully a typo.
    marscentral

Number of posts : 530
    Registration date : 2008-12-24
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Malacandran

Post by marscentral on 28/12/2009, 8:56 am

I think they've put themselves right between a rock and a hard place with the two houses. On the one hand, forcing people to fight for either Martok or Duras is further dividing the game's smaller faction and one (probably Duras) will be the game's whipping boy being constantly outnumbered by both their rival house and the more united Federation. On the other hand, constantly switching sides because the game arbitrarily decides it needs more Durases in this instance makes the Klingons seem about as loyal and honourable as a crack whore looking for their next fix. They should, in order to preserve some semblance of canon, make the Klingons choose and use whatever mechanic they're planning to use to stop the Federation from overwhelming them with sheer numbers to stop the rival house from overwhelming them with sheer numbers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 14/12/2017, 10:24 pm