» Greetings from 12th Fleet!
10/2/2013, 1:30 pm by [12th]Lupy

» New forum
17/11/2010, 10:22 am by Coco

» Fleet / Team listings
15/11/2010, 1:14 pm by MaQogh

» Fleet Rep's contact details
7/11/2010, 3:52 pm by Valentine Fox

» End of season 1 (including the EoS Event!)
3/11/2010, 6:27 pm by Blackknight8x

» Hall of Fame
1/11/2010, 8:45 pm by Blackknight8x

» Thoughts So Far
1/11/2010, 7:57 pm by Reuster

» Match details
1/11/2010, 4:07 pm by Ghost_2012

» Match results
1/11/2010, 4:38 am by Valentine Fox

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 26821 messages in 2457 subjects

We have 289 registered users

The newest registered user is GEIMENC

Topics for Future Podcasts

jayrelo
    Admin

Number of posts : 388
    Registration date : 2008-11-12
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Human

Topics for Future Podcasts

Post by jayrelo on 7/12/2008, 11:27 am

great idear by coco, if you have any topics you want to have discussed on our podcast, fleet related or STO related, then post them here! :p
    Coco
    Admin

Number of posts : 2644
    Registration date : 2008-11-25
    Medals :

Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Vulcan

Re: Topics for Future Podcasts

Post by Coco on 7/12/2008, 12:06 pm

The topic I was thinking about was our fleet mandate. I know you mentioned it in the 1a cast Jay, maybe this could be elaborated upon seeing it's our only 'rule' for members? I'm thinking not only of help for players requesting aid but also small fleets (and allied fleet dynamics?).
    jayrelo
    Admin

Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by jayrelo on 7/12/2008, 9:27 pm

i would be happy to elaborate on that. and also, one of the topics for the next podcast, i'll be talking about my experiences with SWG, EVE online, COH,V and WOW and how STO can be better by learning from their successes and failures alike. also, two more great songs. :p

Coco wrote:The topic I was thinking about was our fleet mandate. I know you mentioned it in the 1a cast Jay, maybe this could be elaborated upon seeing it's our only 'rule' for members? I'm thinking not only of help for players requesting aid but also small fleets (and allied fleet dynamics?).
    Coco
    Admin

Number of posts : 2644
    Registration date : 2008-11-25
    Medals :

Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Vulcan

Post by Coco on 7/12/2008, 9:54 pm

jayrelo wrote:i would be happy to elaborate on that. and also, one of the topics for the next podcast, i'll be talking about my experiences with SWG, EVE online, COH,V and WOW and how STO can be better by learning from their successes and failures alike. also, two more great songs. :p

Already looking forward to it! Especially your experience with CoH/V would be interesting to hear, and the songs too of course Very Happy

If other topics come to mind I'll let you know, maybe for a Christmas special santa
    jayrelo
    Admin

Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by jayrelo on 11/12/2008, 11:48 pm

looking for some more topics fleet... i'm awesome, but not that awesome. Smile

Coco wrote:
    If other topics come to mind I'll let you know, maybe for a Christmas special santa
    smbrenn

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2008-12-11
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by smbrenn on 12/12/2008, 1:16 am

Just wondering, are we planning on using vent or some other form of voice comm? I really dont mind but looking for thoughts. I thought it might be a good topic to touch on.
    jayrelo
    Admin

Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by jayrelo on 12/12/2008, 1:26 am

we discussed some of it here:
    http://stokt.aforumfree.com/kt-podcast-talkback-f4/kt-podcast-1a-12-5-2008-t19.htm

as we get closer to the release, i'll buy us a vent server. no one will be forced to participate, but i think it will make communication much easier, i use it when i venture to play cstrike once in a blue moon. i think it would help us alot in STO.

but you're right to bring it up, i'll prolly spend a lil time talking about it next podcast.

thanks for the post!

smbrenn wrote:Just wondering, are we planning on using vent or some other form of voice comm? I really dont mind but looking for thoughts. I thought it might be a good topic to touch on.
    jayrelo
    Admin

Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by jayrelo on 14/12/2008, 1:51 am

for the fourth podcast, the main topic will be taking some great TNG episodes, and how STO might be able to take aspects of these shows and provide an even more potentially awesome game experience. also, i'll have a short commentary on eve online, a visit with how champions online will pave the road for STO, and some topics on current fleet news.

if you have anything you want on the next show, please let me know! otherwise, look for the new podcast in a few days time!
    aljama1122

Number of posts : 85
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by aljama1122 on 18/12/2008, 4:28 pm

you asked for suggestions for future podcasts/favourite episodes/and music for the shows

I was thinkin new orleans is sinking for music

my favourite episodes personally are the "big goodbye", "QPID" aka robinhood,conundrum,a fist full of datas, i know those are all TNG but thats my favourite series, followed closely by Enterprise
    Freejack

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2008-11-20
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Post by Freejack on 21/12/2008, 7:10 am

jayrelo wrote:looking for some more topics fleet... i'm awesome, but not that awesome. Smile

Don't underestimate your awesomeness just because we ran out of discussion on what will or might be. I think you covered the basics quite well.

I posted a reply to a question of yours on the forums regarding Fleet Structure, but it seems to have gotten buried among all the repetetive topics that constantly get revived and bumped to fill Page One.

Basically, I think we all need more information about the game before any other steps can be discussed. However, there is always room for speculation.

What if "insert an incident here" occurred, how would the fleet respond?

What options do we as a fleet want in the game? A shared bank, fleet taxes, shared resources...? Since we don't know a lot of these questions let's alpha-test this game in our minds and try to develop coherent questions and requests for the developers that we can submit to the next ASK CRYPTIC session.

also,

I'm recently revisiting some of my old game accounts to try to draw the best and worst from them. My first MMO experience was EverQuest. I refuse to call it classic or original because it was my first and doesn't need any other adjectives. I signed up for a Sony station pass and all my toons and platinum were still there, including my lvl 75 Ranger with all his gear. I was even able to /claim my yearly VET rewards even though I haven't played in over two years. I easily reinstalled the game, but I had lost all personal UI settings and was immediately 3 expansions behind.

While I was away from EQ for those two years they released THREE (3) full priced expansions and raised the level cap from my level of 75 to 80 (NOTE: The original level cap for EQ was 60). While I was trying to remember how to use the UI, I logged in to the LFG system they have. I like this system. It obviously shows your lvl,rce,cls to everybody but it allows you to add a note to define what particular expansion you want help with. The other half of the LFG tool is 'Looking for Group' which allows you to define what kind of player you are specifically looking for, like say if your healer had to go to bed. I have YET to see such a useful LFG tool in any game ever since, and WoW has an LFG tool but almost nobody uses it.

Topic: Should character stats be saved by the company for more than two years after you cancel your subscription?

I felt lucky when I bought EQ Platinum which came with the first four expansions, but now it appears that they have about 16 expansions and pump them out every six months to keep the top 5% hard-core raiders and 'loyal customers happy. I played at an off-time where we tried to keep up with the content, but it was getting released faster than we could keep up with and the only low-level population was just old players trying to power-level up to be viable in their raiding guild.

If you joined EQ today, you might enjoy it, but after a short while you will need to group with others that only want to level and will ignore you when you want to expand your character. They combated this by making a whole new zone where you can quest solo to level-up, but you miss the whole original story of the gameworld.

Topic: Are expansions good for the game or do they only cater to the speedgamers that have time to race through the content?

In order to refresh my memory on how the UI worked in EQ I created a new character. There was no tutorial when I began, but that made it a little more immersive even though I was completely lost. My first MMO it was fun to be completely lost and have to ask another, "Where do I start?" From a business perspective I can see that others would just quit and cancel, so:

Topic: Should the game have a seperate Tutorial, or should it be integrated into the beginning game of all new characters?

While in the EQ tutorial I remembered that they teach you how to dodge, parry, swim, kick, meditae (sit/regen), track, etc. depending on your class. You are born with these abilities, but you have to use them to improve them. These are different from your spells or skills, the are more similar to 'Fishing' where you suck the first time but you get better as you fish. But if it's a skill that your toon doesn't need then you have no need to practice it.

Topic: Do you prefer skills that increase automatically from play experience, or do you prefer skills that only get better the more you use them?

EXAMPLE 1: A Science ensign can only fire a Stun with his phaser. When he makes lieutenant his phaser can Stun and Blind. When he reaches Captain, his phaser is unlocked to allow KILL.

Example 2: A Science ensign has a KILL setting on his phaser if he NEEDS to use it. Since he is a Science officer and has never used it, his aim is aweful and rarely lands a hit. He has a Tri-Corder which he uses all the time. As he uses his tricorder he gets better at interpreting the readings.

But now this Science officer gets Away Team duty, and he lands in hostile territory. He is forced to use his phaser (and gets a little better at it). When that skirmish is over, he goes back to his tricorder, but his weapon is holstered.

Topic: Which of these scenarios fits best with your vision of STO?

P.S. These are just small tidbit features that I pulled from what might be called the 'first' MMO depending on how you define Massively. EQ is still alive and well, and a lot can be learned from it; WoW learned a lot santa

But I think there is something to be learned from every game out there and unless there's a G5 3D "iHolodeck" prototype, Then I don't think we're gonna see any innovation in the MMO other than what Cryptic has in store.

Renewing my SOE Station account has now given me access to all of there other games as well. I just launched MATRIX tonite, and even in the intro it had some good techniques that could be adapted, but that's a different thread.

Just because a game fails or suceeds does NOT mean that the game had nothing to offer the players or benefit future MMO designers. I could continue with twice as much meaningless aspects WoW, but that's a different thread, too.

So maybe my suggestion is compile and discuss features you like from other games, discuss them amongst the members here, and then present official questions for the next "Ask Cryptic". I think this is the best, most intelligent group of participants in the current STO community and can definitely inspire the Dev's with better ideas than 'andrewprofit', amongst others that just throw troll-bait out there. clown
    Cyberdurc22
    Admin

Number of posts : 1178
    Registration date : 2008-11-22
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Thanks Jack

Post by Cyberdurc22 on 21/12/2008, 12:27 pm

That was an entry chock full of information, thanks. I agree with what you said about doing 'alpha testing' that is a great idea. Until we know how the game is going to work, if we discuss what we'd like to see in game and develop questions based on that we could maybe make that 2010 delay seem worthwhile if our ideas get implemented.

As for your two scenario examples, I like the second example better. I feel it is better to have your toon have access to everything, but only be well experienced with features they are trained with, or have used often. I hate having to reach a certain level before being able to unlock particular features from an item, especially non complex items like guns (SWG is like that).

One of the things I'd like to see in game is the ability to have players help with ship functions. Not everyone likes to be the Captain of a ship, some just want to build and maintain machinery, or develop new weaponry, or be a research scientist and develop a new type of torpedo (I don't know). What I'm getting at is that it's great that Cryptic will allow players to do co-op missions on planet surfaces, but it would be cool to have other players as part of your bridge crew and when they log off, an NPC can take their place.

Thanks Freejack for starting us of with some awesome topics. Very Happy
    Cyberdurc22
    Admin

Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by Cyberdurc22 on 24/12/2008, 4:17 pm

NiteWolf03 wrote:Cyberdurc22 thats a nice idea and i am sure your right there maybe some that dont want to be captian and i hope they put that option in were you can have real players be part of your crew and if they do have to log off you can have a NPC take there place....I would also like to see an in game voice chat so we dont have to use ventrillo or teamspeak....another idea i would like to see is a in game calender to schedule in game events we can also use the web site but it would be nice to see one...

Good points Wolf...it would be nice to see in-game voice chat as well as a calendar, the good thing is we do have one here on our site, so we could always just use the one here, but you're right it would be more convenient in game.
    smbrenn

Number of posts : 293
    Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by smbrenn on 27/1/2009, 3:21 pm

although not much has been said about it, maybe 360 vs. PC would be interesting to learn about.
    Cyberdurc22
    Admin

Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by Cyberdurc22 on 6/2/2009, 12:43 am

That would be cool to see, I have both, so I have no preference...though there is always the advantaged of some modded games on PC...But still, I love to kick ASS!!! with my 360...see, no preference.

Blackknight8x
    Admin

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2009-02-12
    Medals :

Ribbons :

Character sheet
    Race: Trill

Post by Blackknight8x on 13/2/2009, 5:44 pm

Here are five episodes of star trek that i like (as requested via the podcast) in no perticular order.

Voy - Learning Curve,
    Tuvok attempts to train four Maquis crewmembers who are having difficulty following Starfleet protocols. He intends to make them conform to his standards, but ends up discovering that he makes a far more effective teacher by learning to compromise.

Reason; Sometimes it's the teacher that learns from the students.

DS9 - Inter arma enim silent leges,
    Bashir is visited by Sloan, the director of Section 31 who asks him to gather information on the Romulan leadership. After consulting with Admiral Ross, Sisko advises Bashir to play along with Sloan in order to determine his motivations.

Reason; Doing the right thing can sometimes end badly & morals can sometimes be very questionable.

TOS - The Doomsday Machine,
    Investigating the destruction of several planetary systems, the Enterprise discovers a crippled starship floating in space. Commodore Decker is the only one left on the ship and is soon found to be less than sound-minded when he takes control of the Enterprise and exposes it to lethal danger.

Reason; Too many reasons! An all round fine episode.

TOS - The devil in the dark,
    Investigating reports of a mysterious creature threatening the mines of Janus VI, Kirk and Spock are brought face to face with the silicon-based Horta. Initiating a mind-meld with the being, Spock soon discovers the startling reason for the Horta's actions...

Reason; Sometimes you have to think outside the box.

ENT - Shuttlepod One,
    During a shuttlepod mission, Tucker and Reed are cut off from Enterprise and become convinced the starship has been destroyed and that their days are numbered.

Reason; A situation none of us would like to be in. It also has some very funny lines between trip & reed.
    Cyberdurc22
    Admin

Medals :
    Ribbons :

Character sheet

Post by Cyberdurc22 on 13/2/2009, 10:35 pm

All great choices...thanks for sharing those with us Black.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/7/2018, 8:44 am